Tuesday 18 September 2012

Busy week

It was a busy, busy, busy week. Amazing how time flies when you're having fun :o)

I've been busy with the book design project, had a few e-cover designs, and worked on my book.

I'm anxiously awaiting the feedback from my tester on Chapter 1.  Made corrections (and additions) to Chapters 2 & 3 - should get the drafts wrapped up next week (depending on when corrections come back from clients).

Where I'm at with book #1:

  • Chapter 1 draft done and with my tester.
  • Chapters 2 & 3 ready to take to author's draft (then to tester).
  • Chapter 4 ready to be checked by me.
  • Chapter 5 author's draft to be written.
And then there's a lot of planning to be done iro promotion.

Here's an idea I came up with. I thought of sharing interesting tidbits I come across in my travels through cyberspace (yes, I also do a lot of reading, in between work). These will be things about self publishing, independent publishing, book design, cover design, etc.

What I saw online...

If you're sitting on the fence, still thinking about whether you should self publish or not, this article may be useful...

25 Reasons to Self-Publish, Part I

What's your opinion?

Here is something that's been debated for a long time (feels like forever), and even today there's no conclusive proof: justified or ragged right text.

Actually, some years ago research was done and it was found that text that's ragged right helps with memory retention (sadly, I can't remember where the research was done).

What made me think of this?

Last week I saw someone (again) say that Word was not suitable for designing a book. The main reason? The hyphenation feature in Word is terrible when justifying text. To be honest, I can't disagree with that.

My questions to you: Do you consciously notice the difference between justified and raged right text? Do you feel Word is a bad choice to design your book (or ebook)?

I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

I wish you terrific and tremendous success!

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment